Read on for setup instructions and helpful information on what deeplinks are, how they function, and why you should use them.
Deeplink setup optionsSetup instructions for Adjust deeplink tracking depend on your app platform(s), so continue reading to learn which format best supports your unique use case.
Adjust supports attribution and reattribution tracking for universal links with our direct links.
All versions of the Android operating system still support custom URL schemes. Learn how to set up deeplinking for your Android tracker URLs.standard deeplinks and universal links for your next Adjust-tracked campaign.
Like traditional hyperlinks, a deeplink comprises a uniform resource identifier (URI) that launches your mobile app and redirects users to a predetermined screen or page. Typically, deeplinks contain a unique location (path) and routing parameters (within a query string) that control how the link will function.
As with your acquisition campaigns, Adjust can track the number of existing users that re-engage with your app via deeplink reattribution. With this conversion data, you’re able to measure how well retargeted users actually perform when reinvigorated through your re-engagement strategies. If you would like Adjust to track user re-engagement from deeplinks without using an Adjust tracker URL, then you will need to implement deeplink reattribution within the Adjust SDK to notify Adjust about the attribution information appended to your deeplink. Find out how to enable deeplink reattribution within your app on iOS and Android.
- An app configured for deeplinks
- You must configure your app for deeplinking (iOS; Android). This ensures that, when a user clicks on a deeplink containing your app's scheme name, your app will know what to do.
- Deeplink reattribution (iOS; Android) requires one additional call within the Adjust SDK, so that Adjust can collect any relevant attribution information from the deeplink
- A direct or indirect deeplink
- You must have a deeplink for your users to click on and through which to reach your app. You can learn the difference between a direct and an indirect deeplink below. Both methods require you to create a tracker within the Adjust Campaign Wizard.
At Adjust, a direct deeplink refers to a URL with a domain that is specific to your app.
myapp://welcomeIn order for Adjust to conduct reattribution (or attribution) for a direct deeplink, you must:
- Enable the SDK click within the Adjust SDK (iOS; Android)
- Manually append an Adjust tracker token (as generated within the Adjust Campaign Wizard) and any attribution data points via specialized Adjust campaign structure parameters (full setup instructions and list of accepted parameters here).
Note: Since Adjust's servers do not receive incoming click data for direct deeplinks, you will not see any clicks recorded from your direct deeplinks in Adjust.
At Adjust, an indirect deeplink refers to an Adjust tracker URL with deeplink functionality.
https://app.adjust.com/abc123?deep_link=myapp://welcomeAll indirect deeplinks must be encoded to ensure that no data is dropped at click-time. You can use an encoding tool to automatically encode your indirect deeplinks.
https://app.adjust.com/abc123?deep_link=myapp%3A%2F%2FwelcomeNote: Indirect deeplinks can be easily generated within the Adjust Campaign Wizard and will report click data.
A deferred deeplink is a deeplink for potential app users. Rather than launch an app that exists on the mobile device in use, the deeplink will engage upon app install. All Adjust deeplinks defer automatically. This means that if a prospective user clicks on your Adjust tracker URL (with deeplink functionality) they will be redirected to the applicable app store to download the app, and then deeplinked upon first app open.
Sometimes, a potential user will need to sign up or register for your app, prior to being deeplinked. To delay the deeplink's engagement, you can ask your developer to set up deferred deeplinking within the Adjust SDK (instructions for iOS and Android).
Note: Attempts to use the Adjust SDK and the Facebook SDK for deferred deeplinking will result in feature malfunction. Even though Adjust automatically supports Facebook deferred deeplinking, you must inform Adjust if you want to handle deeplinks directly, or with the Facebook SDK. Please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
To send the user elsewhere, like your mobile website, you can override the automatic deeplink fallback by appending Adjust's
redirectparameter to your tracker URL.
https://app.adjust.com/f0ob4r?deep_link=example%3A%2F%2F%26redirect%3Dmy.mobile.websiteThis will test the deeplink and redirect the user to
my.mobile.websiteif the app isn’t installed on the device.