Uninstall and reinstall measurement
Adjust's uninstall and reinstall measurement gives you better insights into your app's retention rates. Use this to analyze your campaign performance, churn rate, and your app's lifecycle.
Here's what you need to know before getting started.
- You need to configure your app to send push notifications. Adjust relies on these to determine whether an app is installed.
Uninstall and reinstall measurement depends on push tokens. When a user installs your app, the app is given a unique push token which the Adjust SDK forwards to Adjust's servers. Silent push notifications are then sent once per day to check if the app is still installed.
The app is set up to get push notifications. At install, the app requests a push token. Adjust's SDK captures the push token and sends it to Adjust's servers.
The push notification service informs Adjust's servers if a user has uninstalled the app. When a user uninstalls your app, Adjust reports the last active session as the uninstall date. This is because the push notification services may give an uninstall date up to a week after the last session. For example:
- The last session is recorded on January 1st at 06:00.
- The push notification service detects uninstall on January 5th at 13:00.
- Adjust reports the uninstall as January 1st at 06:00.
If a device was uninstalled but then shows as installed at a later date, this counts as a reinstall.
Adjust treats reinstalls as in-app events. This means we only reattribute the user when a reinstall session meets the requirements set in your app- or link-level reattribution settings.
For example, if your reattribution settings are the default:
- 7-day inactivity period.
- 7-day reattribution window.
The following happens:
- User uninstalls your app and triggers no in-app sessions for 7 days total. This can include time before uninstalling.
- User clicks on a re-engagement ad with an Adjust link.
- User reinstalls and triggers a session in your app within 7 days of the engagement.
- Adjust records a reattribution reinstall.
reattributionstatistics in your deliverables. If you have set up callbacks, you only receive a callback for a
Here are the key steps to getting started with uninstall and reinstall measurement:
- Set up uninstall and reinstall measurement in the Adjust SDK – The Adjust SDK includes support for uninstall and reinstall measurement. Ask your developer to set this up in the Adjust SDK.
- Set up uninstall and reinstall measurement – Follow the instructions to provide Adjust with the information it needs to measure uninstalls and reinstalls.
- View your uninstall and reinstall data in Datascape – Use Adjust's built-in tools to see uninstall and reinstall information right in Datascape.
- Set up reporting for uninstall and reinstall measurement – Get information on uninstall, reinstall, and reattribution reinstall events sent to you.
- Test uninstall and reinstall measurement - Learn how to test whether Adjust measures your app uninstalls or reinstalls correctly.