With Adjust, you can track users’ subscriptions and measure signup behavior. Use your data to calculate users’ lifetime value (LTV) and create effective retargeting campaigns.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to get started with subscription tracking by adding your app to Adjust and sharing certain credentials. After you are set up, you can read our guides to manage subscription data and troubleshooting and FAQs.
Here’s what you need to know before getting started.
- Subscription tracking package
- For more information, speak with your dedicated Sales representative or Technical Account Manager
- Adjust can track purchases from the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
- Subscription tracking enabled with the minimum Adjust SDK version.
[Adjust trackSubscription:subscription];for iOS and
Adjust.trackPlayStoreSubscription(subscription);for Android when a subscription purchase is made.
- In compliance with GDPR, make sure to encrypt all of your parameter data. Additionally, do not include any personal data (including, but not limited to, email address, age, name etc.) within the parameter data.
To set up your app for subscription tracking, you have to integrate the Adjust SDK, add your app to the Adjust dashboard, and share credentials with Adjust. You need to finish all three stages before you can start tracking.
Adjust uses our open-source SDK to implement our subscription tracking solution.
If you do not yet have the Adjust SDK integrated into your app, use our Github developer documentation to do so. Be sure to add the latest version. You can watch this video for more information. After, use our Testing Console to verify the implementation.
First, add your subscription app to the Adjust dashboard. Be sure to select the correct platform (iOS or Android) and provide its app_token to complete setup.
Use our Add a New App article to guide you through these initial steps.
To finish the setup in Adjust, we need some app-specific information. The credentials you need to share with Adjust depend on your app platform. Use the instructions for iOS and Android below to help you find these. If you have a multiplatform app, follow the instructions for both.
To add your credentials in the Adjust Dashboard, follow these steps.
- Find your app and select the options caret.
- Select Subscription.
- Enter your platform-specific credential information.
- For iOS: App-Specific Shared Secret
- For Android: Private Key Credential File
- Select Save.
Steps for Android apps
Google provides receipt validation for your subscription product through the Google Play Developer API. The API is linked and managed from the Google Play Console. The following steps show how to link your API project to the Play Console, and authorize it using a service account.
Already added your product to the Play Console?
1. Link to your Google Developer Project
Go to the Google Play Console, select API access > Link. This connects your Play account to a Google Developer Project.
2. Create a Service Account
To create a service account and generate your private key credentials, follow these steps.
- Open the Google API Console.
- Select Create Service Account.
- Add your Service Account key credentials.
- Name the account.
- Assign the role of Project Owner.
- Select Create.
Great job. A JSON file will start to download. This contains the credentials required for communication between Adjust and Google.
3. Grant Financial Access
To grant financial access for your service account, follow these steps.
- Open the Google Play Console.
- Select Grant Access on the new Adjust service account.
- Set the following:
- Role - Finance
- Add - Manage Orders Permissions
- Select Save.
If these options are not available, you might not have adequate account permissions. Contact your Account Owner or Admin.
Steps for iOS apps
1. Set up the Apple Subscription Trigger URL
Log in to your iTunes Connect account and select the My Apps tab.
Select App Information from the sidebar, and navigate to the field in the bottom right-hand corner called Subscription Status URL.
https://subscription.adjust.com/v2/appstore/in your app settings.
2. Find your App-Specific Shared Secret
- Sign into your iTunes Connect account.
- Go to My Apps and select your subscription app.
- Select Features > In-App Purchases.
- Select App-Specific Shared Secret.
- Copy your secret from the pop-up.