With Adjust, you can track users’ subscriptions and measure signup behavior. Use your data to calculate users’ lifetime value (LTV) and create effective retargeting campaigns.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to get started with subscription tracking by adding your app to Adjust and sharing certain credentials. After you are set up, you can read our guides to manage subscription data and troubleshooting and FAQs.
Here’s what you need to know before getting started.
- Adjust can track purchases from the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
To use this feature, you first need to download and set up the Adjust SDK for your platform. Follow the instructions linked below to get started.
Once you have the Adjust SDK installed and configured, follow the guides linked below to use this feature:
- In compliance with GDPR, make sure to encrypt all of your parameter data. Additionally, do not include any personal data (including, but not limited to, email address, age, name etc.) within the parameter data.
To set up your app for subscription tracking, you have to add your app to the Adjust dashboard and share credentials with Adjust. You need to finish both of these steps before you can start tracking.
First, add your subscription app to the Adjust dashboard. Be sure to select the correct platform (iOS or Android) and provide its
app_token to complete setup.
Use our Add a New App article to guide you through these initial steps.
To finish the setup in Adjust, we need some app-specific information. The credentials you need to share with Adjust depend on your app platform. Use the instructions for iOS and Android below to help you find these. If you have a multiplatform app, follow the instructions for both.
To add your credentials in the Adjust Dashboard, follow these steps.
- Find your app and select the options caret.
- Select Subscription.
- Enter your platform-specific credential information.
- For iOS: App-Specific Shared Secret
- For Android: Private Key Credential File
- Select Save.
Google provides receipt validation for your subscription product through the Google Play Developer API. The API is linked and managed from the Google Play Console. The following steps show how to link your API project to the Play Console, and authorize it using a service account.
Already added your product to the Play Console?
1. Link to your Google Developer Project
- Go to the Google Play Console, select API access > Choose a project to link.
- You can then choose to Create a new project or Link existing project.
This connects your Play account to a Google Developer Project.
2. Create a Service Account
To create a service account and generate your private key credentials, follow these steps.
- Open the Google Cloud Platform.
- Select Create Service Account.
- Name your Service Account.
- Select Create and Continue.
- Select Manage keys.
- Select Create new key.
- Select Key type: JSON and then Create.
Great job. A JSON file will start to download. This contains the credentials required for communication between Adjust and Google.
3. Grant Financial Access
To grant financial access for your service account, follow these steps.
- Open the Google Play Console.
- Select Grant Access on the new Adjust service account.
- Grant the following permissions:
- App access: View app information
- Financial data: View financial data, Manage orders and subscriptions.
- Select Apply.
- Select Send Invite.
- Add an app to grant permissions and select Save changes.
After you have successfully followed these steps, you can now upload your JSON credentials to the Adjust dashboard under Subscription Tracking.
If these options are not available, you might not have adequate account permissions. Contact your Account Owner or Admin.
1. Set up the Apple Production Server URL
- Log in to your iTunes Connect account and select the My Apps tab.
- Select the app you want to set up.
- Select App Information from the side navigation bar.
- Scroll down to App Store Server Notifications, and navigate to the Production Server URL field.
- Click Set Up URL.
- Select Version 1 Notifications.
- Click Save.
Log in to your iTunes Connect account and select the My Apps tab.
https://subscription.adjust.com/v2/appstore/in your app settings.
2. Find your App-Specific Shared Secret
- Sign into your iTunes Connect account.
- Go to My Apps and select your subscription app.
- Select Features > In-App Purchases.
- Select App-Specific Shared Secret.
- Copy your secret from the pop-up.