Basic event setup
Event tracking lets you track user activity. This can include registration, login, or purchase events. Basic event data offers you insight into your conversion chain, highlights user journeys, and reveals opportunities for app development.
Use our basic setup instructions to track your events in Adjust. When you're finished, move onto advanced event setup to customize your integration.
Here’s what you need to know before getting started.
- Adjust already tracks the following activities, so you don’t need to create events for them:
- Adjust processes up to 1 MB of data for each event, so you always receive the information that you need.
Adjust uses unique IDs, called event tokens, to track your events. To create an event token, follow these steps:
- Find your app in the dashboard and select your app options caret (^)
- Select All Settings > Events
- Find the CREATE NEW EVENT label at the bottom of the module and enter your event name
- Select CREATE
Finished! Now that you've created your event tokens, you can continue your setup.
Now that you’ve created your event tokens, you can set up event tracking. Adjust tracks events in two ways:
Both methods are equally effective, but SDK tracking can require more developer time since changes must be made directly in the code. No matter which option you use, always consult your app developers early in the integration process.
To set up event tracking in the Adjust SDK, follow the instructions in our developer guides on Github:
Server-to-server (S2S) event tracking lets you track events that happen in and outside your app. This method also reduces the amount of code in your Adjust SDK.
To set up S2S event tracking, follow these instructions.
Tags are small pieces of code that help integrate third party products into your app. The Google Tag Manager (GTM) lets you control these tags across all of your source files.
You can use our server-to-server GTM integration to track tags as app events in Adjust. This lets GTM push events from Google's servers to Adjust's endpoints, and saves you the task of duplicating tracked events.
- A registered GTM account and Firebase SDK implemented in your app (to set up Google Tag Manager)
- Check that the Adjust SDK is integrated in your app and has registered an install. Without this, Adjust cannot match events to devices.
- Mapping events between Adjust and GTM requires your corresponding Adjust app and event tokens
- Once you have successfully set up event tracking with GTM, make sure that you are not tracking the same events with Adjust. If you are, then you will see duplicated reporting in Adjust.
Set up Google Tag Manager event tracking
For an in-depth guide to Google Tag Manager setup and advanced configurations, use Google Developers documentation for Android and iOS. To set up Google Tag Manager event tracking within the GTM dashboard, follow the steps below.
- Log in to your GTM account and select the Container section
- Select Add New Tag, then under Select Tag Type scroll down and add Adjust
- In Tag Configuration, enter your Adjust app token and event tokens
- Check the required configuration settings for revenue events or events you want tracked in Adjust’s sandbox environment
- Choose to link callback or partner parameters that are tracked with each tag
- In Triggering, determine which app events will trigger the tag. You can opt to select all events or define rules and/or exceptions.
- Select Create Tag
Well done! Now we’ll track your Google Tags as events in Adjust.