Adjust can reattribute dormant users who engage with a new source and then return to your app. Here, you'll find a general overview and frequently asked questions about reattribution in Adjust.
Reattribution is when an inactive user engages with a retargeting campaign, returns to your app, and gets assigned a new source in Adjust.
We reattribute users who have:
- Installed the app on their device previously
- Engaged with an Adjust impression or click link that’s eligible as a source of reattribution. The link must also use a different link token to the one they were attributed for the original install.
- Triggered an in-app session within the determined reattribution window. The user may or may not have to reinstall the app before being able to generate the session.
- Been inactive for a specific amount of time (as determined by your inactivity period) before triggering the in-app session
If a user meets all of these conditions, Adjust reattributes and reports any further in-app activity to the latest attribution source. Depending on your settings, a user can often qualify for reattribution in Adjust.
We use the following activities for reattribution:
- Clicks and impressions (with valid advertising IDs)
- Deep link clicks
- App sessions claimed by a self-attributing network
An inactivity period defines how long users must be inactive before qualifying for reattribution.
For example, if you set a 7-day inactivity period, users who don't open your app for a full week qualify for reattribution. If you set a 0-day inactivity period, Adjust can reattribute users within a single app session. We record a new session when a user opens your app after 30 minutes of inactivity.
Adjust automatically sets a 7-day inactivity period. You can customize your inactivity period.
A reattribution window determines how long Adjust considers engagements for reattribution. For example, if you set a 7-day reattribution window, users who engage with an ad and then open your app within a week can be reattributed.
Adjust automatically sets a 7-day reattribution window for clicks and a 1-hour reattribution window for impressions. You can customize both reattribution windows. The reattribution window for impressions can be set in hours or in days.